Monday, June 17, 2013

Where the F--- Did All Of These Pilgrims Come From?!

We knew this day was coming, I had been dreading it, and it seems to have arrived. The day when the 150 KM and under Pilgrims join the Camino is now upon us. People who don't have enough time to do the whole Camino, or are just focused on getting their Compostela often will only walk the last 100-150 KM to achieve the magical distance to get their certificate and BAM, sins begone! 

Last night in O'Cebreiro, we slept in a room of about 50 pilgrims, and over half of them were up and rustling in their bags by 5 (not fun, thanks for waking me up)...we then proceeded to go outside where a dense fog had formed overnight. It was like a thick down blanket of fog had been laid over the mountain, but this blanket wasn't full of warmth, it was full of icy cold fog and mist.  The walk today was from O'Cebreiro to Triacastela (about 20 KM) and it was mostly downhill.



We followed the long line of green, blue, red, orange, and yellow ponchos down the hill for pretty much the whole day. I found annoyances everywhere:

1. They formed lines that blocked the entire path from other Pilgrims going at a faster clip. 
2. They didn't understand how to order at the bar and blocked doors. 
3. They totally threw off my mojo. 

We saw many people sitting on the rocks that lined the path, huffing and puffing. I wanted to say "Don't worry, we have all been there" but at the same time I wanted to start throwing elbows to get them out of my way. The worst part is that tomorrow we get into Sarria and even more Pilgrims will join us there. I know I need to be kind and sweet, but I hate having to share my Camino with these "Pilgrim Cheaters". 

Although with the added Pilgrims threw off my concentration, I was still able to enjoy the beautiful views that Galicia has to offer. 




Before coming into Triacastela, we passed through a tiny little town that had about 3 homes in it. When we got there it was time to release the cows, so today, we participated in our own very slow running of the bulls (cows). 



We arrived in town and heard that there was a Pilgrim Celebration at the church later tonight. I convinced Abe to go and it ended up being a mass. It would have been fine if Abe hadnt been forced to read aloud during the ceremony. Also who knew Catholics got such a workout at church...up, down, kneel, up, hold hands, hug, ect...Ultimately we survived and didn't catch fire during the service. 

6 days of walking until Santiago!

Buen Camino!!





No comments:

Post a Comment