Friday, June 21, 2013

Camino Birthday

Yesterday was my 25th birthday.

So. Old. 

We woke up in Portomarín and planned on doing 27 KM for the day (after hills were factored in). Like any other day we walked until second breakfast where I got a Tarta de Santiago to celebrate. 



We continued walking until lunchtime and sat down to eat our sandwiches at a bar with a sweet (but loud) kitty. While eating, E, B and J found their way to our restaurant and surprised me with a piece of cake (I blew out a match) and a second singing of "Happy Birthday" (they had also sung to me before we left Portomarín). 



The rest of the day was uphill all the way until Palas de Rei, our stopping point for the day. 


I was feeling very exhausted and my left shoulder was aching by the time we got there, so after getting a shower Abe let me nap while he washed our clothes. Over the past few weeks, my shoulder has been really hurting (maybe due to a pinched nerve) and it seems the pain is getting worse. It feels like sharp, stabbing pain under my shoulder blade followed by numbness and pain down my left arm. The pain usually starts after I've adjusted my pack in some way and it sticks around for several minutes at a time. Its not fun. 

After waking up, we had second lunch complete with birthday sangria. We then relaxed and explored the town briefly. It had been lovely weather all day and after our walk through town it started raining and pouring. We stayed inside until supper, not wanting to get soaked. We had hoped to find a nicer restaurant where I could enjoy a good birthday dinner, however we had no such luck. 


We had our supper and when dessert came we were even more disappointed. They claimed to have our favorite dessert (natillas) but when they brought it out, it was FAKE natillas. Not even homemade. I was pretty sad so after we got back to the albergue, Abe went in search if a bakery. He found one and picked up some tiny delicious cakes! He had officially saved the day. 



We went back up to our room and an Irish Pilgrim presented me with a chocolate bar as a birthday gift. We had just met her that day and she was so kind that she went to the grocery and picked it up just for me. I cant get enough of the other Pilgrims on this walk. They are amazing. 

Total, I think I was sung 'Happy Birthday' about 8 times. Which is probably a record. Being on the Camino is a very interesting way to start my 25th year of life, but it'll be one I'll always remember. 

Buen Camino! 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment