Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Triacastela to Sarria and Sarria to Portomarín

Yesterday we made the short walk from Triacastela to Sarria (only 18 KM). We had previously decided to take the shorter route and not see the monastery in Samos since we are both feeling pretty exhausted. The day before everyone had been up and out of bed super early, today, Abe and I were the first ones up (at 6) and everyone was still pretty much asleep when we left. Even if we had tried, I don't think Abe or I could have slept past 6:30...my internal alarm now goes off each morning at 5:45. 


It was another gorgeous walk through the Galician countryside (even though it was kind of chilly). We got to spend some time walking up a hill with E and J (B had gone the long route). Eventually we left them, since we walk at a faster clip. 



Really, this day wasn't anything special except for the fact that we saw this giant slug and that we reached the city where more people would be joining us. Thankfully, we arrived on a Tuesday and not many people start their weeks vacation on a Tuesday. If it had been a weekend, I'm sure the place would have been crawling with new Pilgrims. There are a few new faces on the trail, but not an enormous amount. Its funny because the newbies are easy to spot. They have shoes that are too clean and are most likely to be wearing gym shorts and sweatsuits. In a few days I'm sure we will see them limping down the trail, just like we did after 3 days of walking. 



When we were about done for the day, we discovered that we'd have to walk up this gigantic flight of stairs. Not the best way to end a day. 


Our newest food obsession is Tarta de Santiago. It is an almond cake and its delicious


After arriving at our albergue, I started to feel pretty sick. We didn't eat as much as usual on this day and, because my camelback broke, I didn't drink as much water. As soon as we could, we headed to an Italian resturant for supper (we needed something different). After eating lots of food and drinking a ton of water I started to feel slightly better. I was planning on a very early bed time, but our albergue lit a fire in their outdoor fireplace and had after dinner shots for us. Abe and I enjoyed one before finally tucking in for a terrible nights sleep. 

This morning we again we were the earliest risers, eager to get the days walk started. Our plan was to walk from Sarria to Portomarín (24 KM). 

The best part about today is that we hit the under 100 KM marker. It is an awesome feeling being that close to the end. Some people don't want the walk to end, but Abe and I are both exhausted and our bodies are kind of over walking. 



When it was time for second breakfast, everyone seemed to had the same idea as us, and we all flocked to the first bar we came upon. It was so crowded and loud that I wanted to scream. We sat our stuff down and went to order, and as soon as had we left the table a woman took off all of her wet rain gear and plopped it down on our table. I just about blew a fuse. These were the new Pilgrims we had heard about and they were here in our bar taking our space. We ate quickly and got out of there (before I started yelling at people). 

The next bar we came to had a more relaxing feel. We sat outside and enjoyed the calming spa music that was piped in over the speakers. They had the most beautiful cat at this bar. She liked me because I kept giving her pieces of my cake, I couldn't get enough of her!! I asked if she could be my early birthday present, but sadly Abe said she had to stay (haha).


Now we are in our albergue in Portomarín. We chose the one in town that seems to be undergoing some major construction. It would be so nice if not for the constant sound of drilling and hammering. Hopefully tonights sleep will make up for last nights lack of sleep (if the construction workers will leave).

4 more days of walking until we reach Santiago! 

Buen Camino! 









No comments:

Post a Comment