Saturday, June 22, 2013

Palas de Rei to Ribadiso

Yesterday, we planned on walking the (almost) 27 KM to Ribadiso. After being spoiled with several shorter distance days, two 27 KM days in a row was really taking its toll on our bodies. We woke up and had a wonderful breakfast at the same bakery where my birthday cakes had come from. The people there were so nice and it was an awesome (and inexpensive) breakfast! 

We then set off, walking over land that looked pretty much the same as the days before. It alternated between lush forest and farmland. 




We pushed ourselves further than usual between second breakfast and lunch and by the time it was time to eat, I was totally starved. I had fried eggs, bacon, sausage, salad and french fries...and a bite or two of cake. My metabolism is out of control fast here, and I have to constantly eat to keep ahead of feeling hungry (or hangry as my friends back home would know me, hungry+angry). 

By the time we were back on the trail, my back had begun to hurt so bad that taking deep breaths made it worse, so my amazing boyfriend took my pack and carried it to give me a break. 


I felt instantly free as I walked along the path with no extra weight dragging me down. No wonder those pilgrims who ship ahead their bags walk so fast! I felt like I could fly! 

We walked past the 50 KM marker today. Seeing numbers this low is incredible and invigorating (especially sfter seeing 790 KM on the second day)! 


After about 1.5 KM i took back my pack and we walked the rest of the way to Ribadiso.



After along, hard day, we made it. The albergue we stayed in is one of the oldest still in existence and  it is all stone and is set right up on the riverbank. Needless to say, it had no wifi (which is why this post is late) but the atmosphere was a lot of fun! 


E, B and J were there and B even got brave enough to put his feet in the freezing cold water! 


The showers and bathrooms were in another building which made late night bathroom trips interesting,  but all in all, the day was a success and we were that much closer to our end goal! 

Buen Camino! 










No comments:

Post a Comment