Monday, May 20, 2013

Roncesvalles to Zubiri and Zubiri to Pamplona (aka Old Man Status)

Day two started from a snowy Roncesvalles. We stayed at an old church that had many beds but very hot showers. Abe and I shared bunks with two younger guys from Dublin. They were very nice (but loud snorers).  Everyone woke up early at this hostel and Abe and I couldn't sleep past 6 AM.



We walked until we came to a small town where we stopped for breakfast. Now that we are in Spain I was able to use some of my Spanish to communicate (Hooray)!




After breakfast we got back on the trail and continued our walk thorough the mountains. We walked and walked until we came across a field that looked over a little town in a valley. I immediately started singing The Sound of Music and gave my best Julie Andrews twirl (my mom would have been proud)!


"The hills are alive, with the sound of music!" 




After that break we kept walking until about 11:00. We passed through a town and thought we could keep going without lunch. We grabbed a water and an orange juice and I hung out with a local kitty cat (it was the sweetest, Meg Legs). 


Skipping lunch in that town, however, was the worst idea possible. We thought there was a town just 3 KM away, but we never ran across this mystery town. With no lunch in sight we had to continue walking. We were tired and hungry, but it was a lovely walk though the alpine woods. 





The rain made the trails very muddy. I thought it might suck my boots off! 


We finally arrived in Zubiri, grumpy, hungry, and tired. We couldnt find anywhere to eat because the supermarket was closed and eventually we found a vending machine. I bought some nuts to eat to hold me over to dinner (thank goodness). The hostel in Zubiri was intersting, but we met some awesome people. I have my first blister and three French ladies helped me thread a needle through it. They didn't know English and I don't know French, but we communicated through miming well enough and they took good care of me. 

We also met 2 Australian women who got a bit tipsy at the bar with us and then helped us book a hotel in Pamplona. They were hilarious and asked us a lot about our little group. I told them Abe and I had been dating for 5 years and they said, "Can you even still call that dating?"  Made me laugh, a bunch. We all fell asleep at 9 PM and were woken up to a symphony of snores. I lost one of my 4 earplugs, so I only had 3, and I the offered the one extra to Abe. 

This morning we woke up extra early to make up for lost time. I felt strong and had no aches as we set off on the trail. Most of the walk was beside a river that was very full because all the rain we had gotten 2 days ago. 


A little more rain and the trail would have been underwater! 



Foggy morning in the valley. 


We had breakfast at a tiny supermarket and then pushed on. We had a cheese and bread break around 10:30 (to prevent another grumpy episode) and passing pilgrims kept taking our pictures. Finally, our group arrived in a city and from then on we were walking on concrete. It was ok at first but affer several miles all of our feet were hurting. People double and triple my age were passing me with ease as I hobbled along. Jake hobbled right next to me and muttered "Old man status", which could not have been more true. 

Finally we arrived in Pamplona. We checked into our hotel and took a much needed nap. We just got back from a huge dinner complete with a cheeseburger (I was craving red meat) and sangria. Tomorrow is a much needed day off from The Camino. We plan on sleeping in and maybe exploring the city (if our feet feel up to it)! 

Buen Camino! 



No comments:

Post a Comment