Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Shopping Extravaganza!

This past weekend I traveled to REI to buy some of the things that I needed for my Camino.  The guys I'm walking with haven't done any sort of backpacking so they required a lot of new items, I, however, was able to borrow some things from my outdoorsy parents! 

First up, backpacks. The boys tried on a lot of packs but finally decided on this one and this one. I had previously bought an Osprey pack at Benchmark Outdoor Outfitters, a local outdoor store here in Kentucky.


Our full to the brim shopping carts! 


Thought about buying this for the Camino, you never know when a collapsible shot glass will come in handy! 


My fellow Pellegrinos (Spanish for Pilgrims)! 


Finally home with all of our bags!


The next day, we sat down to sort out and document all of our purchases. We are keeping a running list of everything we have and everything we still need to get.


By this point we were all exhausted, even Olive. 


Today was another lovely day in the Bluegrass and I met up with my momma to test out my new pack. I loaded it up with 13 pounds and we walked 4 miles. I was pretty worn out by the end of it, and it sure did provide a reality check for the actual Camino.


This is my momma, she is currently accepting donations so she can tag along on our Camino (haha, kidding).  She wanted to carry my pack to see how it felt and I was happy to give it to her for a little over a mile.



It's hard to believe that in just 40 days I'll be getting on a plane and traveling to Paris and then on to St. Jean to begin my Camino journey! In the next few weeks, however, I have several papers and exams, so I have to keep my mind on school and graduation before I can get too excited about Spain!

No comments:

Post a Comment