Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Backpacking Practice

This past weekend Abe's Uncle and Brother came down so we could practice walking with our packs on. They first came to my house and we filled up our packs with everything we will be taking with us on our trip. Abe had the heaviest pack, weighing in at 23 pounds. Mine was the lightest at 19 pounds. (That weight included 2 liters of water)

After getting everything packed, we headed to the Legacy Trail and began our 8 mile walk (almost 13km).



We took a break at 4 miles. It was such a beautiful day and the weather was perfect!


 After we recovered from our walk, we headed to dinner and enjoyed some sangria. I'll be happy to have Spanish sangria again (I went to Spain in 2009 and am excited to go back)!


That night my knees were really hurting. I was a cross country runner from 8th grade to my senior year in college and I still run occasionally, and I have never had any trouble with my knees before. I'm not sure if it was the added weight, the quick pace, or maybe a change in my posture that triggered all the pain, but I'll definitely need Advil when we start our Camino. The next day, the knee pain was gone, which was good, but it still makes me nervous about what may happen on the Camino.

25 days until we leave. Excitedly counting down the days.

No comments:

Post a Comment